1. Make sure your hat complements your outfit and other accessories. It doesn’t need to be a perfect match , a contrast colour can look spectacular and make the hat a statement in its own right. If in doubt, go for a neutral tone hat with simple details.
2. It is important to choose a hat that works for you. You must wear the hat, not the hat wear you. Try on as many different shapes and styles as possible and allow the milliner to guide you; it is often the hat you least expect which is ‘the one’.
3. Royal Ascot has many dress codes so check that your hat meets the correct criteria – for the Royal Enclosure, the base of your hat must be at least 4 inches. If in doubt, go for a bigger brim.
4. Hats are all about balance, use a full length mirror to try on different styles, you need to take account of the whole look and silhouette, if possible put the outfit on when trying out hat options.
5. Wear your hat with confidence…Royal Ascot is one of the few places where everyone is wearing a hat, so you will not be alone. Embrace the experience – the bolder the better. It’s the chance to have some fun with colour, and be playful with the hat design.